Monday, December 13, 2010

Don't believe in Santa? NO GIFT FOR YOU!

My daughter Kathryn is 7, and most of her friends don't believe in Santa.  I keep waiting for the day when she asks me flat out if Santa is real.  Oddly enough, she never really brings it up.  I was starting to think she wasn't all that bright, until I heard her talking to a friend of hers the other day. 

Abby:  I don't think Santa is real.
Kat: Yes he is.  My mom  and dad get a present from Santa every year.  My mom says as long as you believe, you will get a gift.  And if you don't believe in Santa, he won't bring you a gift.  My mom believes and every Christmas morning she has a present from Santa, and she's even a grownup! 
Abby:  Oh.  I guess I'd better believe. 

A few years ago, Kat asked me if I believed in Santa, and I told her very clearly that as long as you believe, you will get a gift, as soon as you don't, NO GIFT FOR YOU (imagine the voice of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld here).  She has never brought it up since.  I guess she would rather be safe than sorry!

So, a little tip from me to you.... if your kids start to question whether Santa is real or not, tell them the choice is theirs, but as soon as they don't believe, NO GIFT FOR YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment