At first glance, it doesn't look that engaging for kids - my kids looked at the cover and weren't interested - but I sat down and started reading out loud and very quickly they were engaged in the stories and kept asking me to read more. The book has a group of fun characters who run through the 7 stories - each one focusing on one of the "habits":
- Being Proactive (taking responsibility for yourself)
- Begin with the End in Mind (goal setting and planning)
- Putting First things First (prioritizing - work first, then play)
- Think Win-Win (effective conflict resolution)
- Seek First to Understand and then to be Understood (listening with your ears, eyes and heart)
- Synergize (working as a team, appreciating everyone's strengths)
- Sharpen the Saw (the importance of balance in life - mind, heart, body and soul)
I had the opportunity to put one of the 7 habits into action today - Think win-win. My daughter was going to a "beach party" at the local community centre, and she wanted to wear a summer dress - I needed her to be warm while we walked there. My usual impulse would have been to just tell her that if she wanted to go, she had to wear something warmer or put leggings on under the dress (the easiest solution when I am pressed for time). But instead I told her about my need for her to be warm while walking there, and let her know that I understood her need to dress in beach wear. So, we came up with a list of solutions that would satisfy both of us. I won't lie, the process was a little bumpy, and there were tears and it took longer than my just telling her what to do, but in the end, we worked together and came up with a win-win solution. I guess the book was as much for me as it is for the kids! Many of you out there probably already do these things with your kids - but for me, I am at best inconsistent - so it helps to have a framework and reference to drive these positive behaviours.
I think this is a book I would like to own - so I can keep reading the stories to the kids and reinforce the messages to them and to me! Thought I would share it with you......
Does anyone else have great books that reinforce good values? I am still looking for one that stresses the importance of taking care of your things and respecting what belongs to someone else.......